Monday, October 22, 2007

This Was Sooooooo Cool....

I was in Target today looking for a CD. I happened to pass the Books section and as I was poking around I found a pleasant surprise. On the shelf were two hard cover copies of a charming book called Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, by the lovely and oh-so-talented Adrienne Kress.

Now, Adrienne is a member over at Absolute Write, and she is an all around nice person who has been very sharing of her experiences with getting her debut novel published. Gosh, I almost feel like I know her. It was thrilling for me to see her work represented on a shelf, aspecially at Target, where shelf space is very limited. Doggone it, it made my day. :)

I got the same thrill when I saw Lottery, by Patricia Wood on the shelf of my local Waldenbooks. Part of it (the unselfish part) is that I am so incredibly happy for them both, but part (the more self-serving part), is pleased to see that, no matter how hard it may seem at times, it can be done. First time authors can be published, and they can do well. The dream, with a mountain of effort and a modicum of luck, can be attained.

I've read both Alex and the Ironic Gentleman and Lottery, and they are incredible. And having traded emails with Adrienne and Pat, I can honestly say they are both lovely people.

So...you may be asking what this has to do with seeing their work on the shelf. The answer is it doesn't, I just felt like telling y'all about the sighting and the post sorta evolved into a praise post for Adrienne and Pat. Not that they need my help, but I'm always happy to spout about 'em. :)

Anyhoo, if you haven't read those two books yet, what are you waiting for? Go. Read 'em. Then come back and we'll talk about 'em. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Shoo!

See Y'all!

6 comments:

ORION said...

oh man! this was fun to find on google alert!!!
LOL
much aloha from the author!

Michael said...

Yes, that is very cool. I'm sure I'd like to read Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, at least. I haven't a YA fantasy in so long, and I do so enjoy them when do.

Adrienne said...

Aw man! This is so sweet of you thanks! And so super cool to learn that it is actually on the shelf in Target! I knew they were going to sell the book, but for some reason I thought it was an online thing!

Dude, you are just so lovely and super supportive and I can't wait for you to get published so I can return the favour (it will so happen!)!

Aprilynne Pike said...

I love seeing the books of people I know in stores. It somehow cements the reality of it, just like you said. There are real publishers and they do publish books from real people. Yanno, real people like me!:) It is way fun!

Tyhitia Green said...

This is cool, David. I love seeing my blogging buddies's book's in the stores. You and I will get there one day---soon, I hope! :*)

Anonymous said...

How exciting! And thanks for the heads-up on Alex and the Ironic Gentleman.

I love seeing blog and online buddies' books on the shelves, too -- super-cool, and inspirational! :)