Friday, January 11, 2008

Well Whaddya Know....I DO Still Enjoy Writing!

I had a pretty productive day yesterday.

I wrote 3,000 words of new material. What’s more, I actually liked what I wrote. To me, that’s a good day.

There is one downside, however. This work was not on my new WIP. Rather, Aprilynne reminded me that I need to get on with some revisions of my “completed” novel. So that’s what I did last night.

The funny thing is, I had NO trouble writing last night, which surprised me a little because working on the current WIP has been a constant struggle. Enough so that I have been wondering if I wanted to continue with it. What does that say about the WIP? It’s moving at a snail’s pace while revisions to my finished novel are streaking along.

I guess it means I like my finished novel more than my WIP, which really is no secret. I had very high hopes for it, and I still do. When I wrote it, I zoomed through the first draft in 5 weeks. I just couldn’t stop. Instead of two hours of BIC, I commonly found myself tapping away for four hours, sometimes more. My wife didn’t see much of me during that time, but I was energized and having fun, and I think that really came through in the writing. I can’t help it, I LOVE that book.

Maybe it’s just the uniqueness of the idea (which IS unique, BTW – I know as the author I’m supposed to say that, but it truly is), or the fact that this novel is the one that landed my agent, but I will have fond memories of it even if it doesn’t sell (which, sadly, is a looming possibility). I have not experienced that level of enthusiasm with the WIP for some time. The WIP is a decent idea, and it’s the one my agent picked from my list of projects, so it’s not hopeless.

It’s just not as fun, for some reason.

Alas….what’s a writer to do?

So for now I am going to alternate my writing schedule. I will spend one day working on revisions and the next day working on the WIP. I’m hoping that feeling energized about one can help me get reenergized about the other, although it could have the opposite effect of leeching enthusiasm from both.

I dunno. But I’m gonna find out.

The great thing about being unpublished (if it can be said there IS a great thing about being unpublished) is I can experiment with what works and what doesn’t without having a deadline hanging over my head. I’m going to enjoy that while it lasts, because when I am published, I won’t have that luxury. :)

6 comments:

Tyhitia Green said...

I hear ya, David. When I first began my revisions, I dreaded everything about it. Now, I cannot wait to get home from work so that I can write and change facets of my story.

Keep writing! I will as well. I have big plans this year and will accomplish my goals! Your book will sell! I feel it! :*)

Anonymous said...

That's how I feel about being unpublished, too. :)

Best of luck to you, both on your revisions and on your WIP! I'm currently working on revisions for a rough draft I completed last year, and in the meantime I have a completed manuscript on submission to a publisher (I don't have an agent -- I submitted directly to the publisher). So let's just say I've got all my appendages crossed. :)

I hope you have your best writing year yet in 2008, and don't give up hope for that novel to sell -- I have a good feeling about it! :)

Travis Erwin said...

Given any thought to starting a new WIP?

Karissa Chen said...

bc you're my only blog friend who understands my pain.......

... i'm completely inconsolable. it took all my energy to be a gracious loser to the friends i was with... who were, of course, giants fans.

Aprilynne Pike said...

So sorry. It's all my fault!! I'll go . . .um . . . do something horrible to myself now. Like . . . uh . . .eat cheese. Yes, that's it. I'll go eat cheese because I suggested you work on your revisions.

Hey, no one said i had to make sense.;)

BTW, I owe you an email.;)

David L. McAfee said...

Tyhitia - Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

Thomma Lyn - Thanks:) Best of luck with the publisher. I hope you get some big news soon.

Travis - Yes, I have. I just hate to start on it and not finish it. I don't want to make a habit of that, y'know?

Angelle - Oh, my dear....that's a whole other post. Coming later today, in fact. Here's a hug for ya, from one inconsolable Cowboys fan to another. :( Y'know, they are blaming Romo for that loss, but from what I saw of the game the offensive line really dropped the ball. They didn't do a very good job of keeping the Giants' defense away from the QB. JMO.

Aprilynne - Ohhh, you mean I can blame you? It's not my fault? Woohoo! :) Wait...eat cheese? Is that like Marie Antoinette or something? Let them eat cheese?

See, you're not the only one who can make no sense. :)

I'll be waiting on your email. I was going to drop you a line this week just to see how things are goin', but since you said you owe me an email I'll just sit tight. :)