Friday, January 25, 2008

OK, based on several rejections and the advice of the lovely and talented Aprilynne Pike (Wuv Ya!), I started making some revisions to my 2nd novel. I added a subplot which allowed for one of the characters to be more sympathetic (and, coincidentally, took the word count from 60K to 65K), took out some entries that were either too cliché or confusing, and expanded just a tad on the ending and the MC’s situation when the story ends.

I think it’s quite a bit better now.

I really do.

But because there was a great deal of new material put in (10K) and old material taken out (5K), several parts of the story are in First Draft form. Obviously those will have to be polished up just a tad. Still, I’m very happy with the results so far. See my happy face? See? Right here….

Oh, wait…internet. Right. You can’t see my happy face. Well, imagine my face, but very happy. Got it? Good. Ok, let’s move on…

Where was I? Oh, yeah! Revisions! Well, now that those revisions are done I will be able to concentrate on my WIP. This side trip turned out to be a good thing. I was stuck on one part of my WIP, trying to figure out one character’s angle, and it just wasn’t coming to me. But when I started my revisions to the other book, I had an idea for the one I was stuck on.

Ain’t that always the way? I jotted down the idea while it was fresh, and now that I’ve pulled my mind out of the first century AD and shoved it back to the present I am free to explore it. I’m excited about that.

Woohoo!

See Y’all!

4 comments:

Karissa Chen said...

awesome!! that's totally how it always works... i feel like it's our brain's desire to procrastinate. instead of focusing on the topic at hand, it decides to come up with great ideas on something unrelated. but hey, take what you can get right? whatever, you made revisions! that's an important step forward! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on doing your revisions! I'm working on revisions to a novel I rough-drafted last year. And yup, I hear you on how answers to problems with one project seem to blossom when you shift focus to another project -- funny how the mind sorts things out, isn't it?

Good luck with your WIP!

Aprilynne Pike said...

Go you!!!

Tyhitia Green said...

That is so great, David. Let us know the progress! :*)