Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blah Blah Blah Jessica, Blah Blah Blah Cabo, Blah Blah Blah Botched Snap, Blah Blah Blaaaaaaah....

Ok, ok…I know a lot of the space on I Have A Blog? lately has been devoted to football (y’all can blame angelle for that…or…you know…I could own up to the responsibility of running my own blog…but I’d rather pass the buck, hehe). So this will be my last football post for a little while. I wouldn’t post anything at all but there is something bothering me that I just have to rant about (oh, BTW…did I mention this would be a rant?).

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking Geez, David. The Cowboys lost. Get over it. You’re wrong. That’s not what this post is about. Ok, ok, so you’re right about the ‘get over it’ part. I’m still a little upset. But I’m mostly past it and now I’m looking forward to the Pro Bowl and the draft. I’m hoping the ‘Boys are able to secure Marion Barber, but still…Uuuh….obsessed? Why, no, I’m not obsessed. Why do you ask?

Anyway, I’m doing one of those tangent things again, gotta stay focused because this is important. It’s an urgent public service message to any and all Cowboys fans (and others) who might need a good shot of reality. Ready? Ok, here goes.

STOP BLAMING ROMO!

I’m so sick of hearing how Romo can’t win a big game, Romo botched a snap, Romo was distracted because of a trip to Cabo, etc etc etc. Folks, for anyone out there who is not paying attention, Romo is one of the best QBs to ever wear a Cowboys helmet. He’s the first Cowboy QB to throw for over 4,000 yards in a season (over 4,200, in fact). He tied the Cowboys all-time best season ever with a 13-3 regular season (know who else did that? Aikman. 1992). He set a new Cowboys record for most TD passes in a single season (36…previous record was Danny White in the 80’s. Even Aikman didn’t beat that one, and HE won 3 Super Bowls). Romo’s average pass length in the 2007 season was second only to Tom Brady. That’s right. The Tom Brady.

I could go on, but the point is simply this: Tony Romo IS the man in Dallas. His numbers in only his second season (and only his first full season) playing for Dallas have already exceeded the best seasons by the very best QBs in Dallas history. What does that tell you? The man is good. Damn good. Is he Tom Brady? Well, no. But then, there is only one Tom Brady.

I’d rather have Romo, to be honest. He’s younger, much more likeable and, given time and experience, I think he will be even better than Brady. *GASP* Did you say ‘better than Brady?’ Are you on crack, David? No, I ain’t. Not today, anyway. Maybe tomorrow.

The thing is, the Cowboys lost, and they should not have. But in T.O.’s own words, they lost as a team. One man did not lose the game. One man does not win a game. In football, every last play is a team effort.

Know who else they said couldn’t win a big game? Let’s look at a list:

Peyton Manning – Hmmm…he can’t win a big game? How’d that work out, I wonder? Oh, yeah, he won the Super Bowl last year.

Brett Favre – I don’t think I need to expand on this one.

Eli Manning – Wait…isn’t he the QB who won the big game against Dallas this year and is now going on to the Super Bowl?

Do I need to go on? Look at the above list of the NFL’s elite QBs. How long did it take them? Not ONE of them won a playoff game in their first 2 years as a starting QB. In fact, it took Peyton 6 years.

Ok, so sure…Tom Brady won the Super Bowl his first year as a starter. That’s Tom Brady. He’s the Phenom. He’s the NFL equivalent of J.K. Rowling. That is to say, far too talented and successful for mere mortals like ourselves.

Down here on planet Earth, Romo will do. Romo will do just fine.

So please, let the man play. Let him date Jessica, or Carrie, or Sigourney Weaver if that’s what he wants. Let him go to Cabo with buddies. Let him have fun on his days off. Fer cryin’ out loud, let him be human.

Sheesh.

Ok, I’m done. Tune in next time for a much more cheerful and happy post. Just as soon as I find my crack.

See Y’all!

7 comments:

Karissa Chen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I LOVE this post. I love the title, especially.

Dude, I hear you. I'm sick of hearing ppl talk about Romo. I'm especially sick of hearing Dallas fans talk about Romo. Okay, I get it from everyone else, I get it... that's what you're supposed to do, because you're my rival, and you like to hate on my young, talented QB. Yes, he botched a snap... a year ago... starting QB's aren't even supposed to hold snaps, and that ball was unusually slick, but hey, let's forget about all of that and use THAT as the determining factor that Romo MUST suck. Okay, fine. You're a skins fan or an eagles fan or a big blue fan. Fine. But if you're a COWBOYS fan, please shutup. Have more love for your team and your QB than that. Recognize his incredible talent and how much of an asset he is. Could we have made it to 13-3 without him? No. So I totally feel you on that. People need to give it a rest. The MEDIA needs to give it a rest.

Sigh.

And sure, blame me all you want!! But I know all these posts were itching to come out anyway...

But me too.. trying to not write about football too. Looking forward to Pro Bowl... since, you know, Super Bowl is going to be only good for its commercials.

David L. McAfee said...

Angelle -

Yeah, see? That's who I am referring to most. Dallas fans who are down on Romo. Ok, I get that you are sad we didn't get into the Super Bowl. I get that you are sad b/c FB is over (for us) for another year. I get that you are sad that this team, the 2007 team, won't be the team that leads Dallas back to those hallowed Glory Days (this year).

But sheesh. He's OUR QB, and he's a damn good one. Give him a break!

Don't worry, Tony. I still love you (uh...in a strictly non-homosexual way, of course). :)

Karissa Chen said...

it esp makes me sad when dallas media is down on the boys and romo. they should be supportive. criticize them for the things that are true. i'd hate for them to buy into rest of the media hype, because if dallas media can't defend our boys, who will?

.. i guess TO will.

David L. McAfee said...

You and I will. :)

Aprilynne Pike said...

Um . . . was that English . . .?

David L. McAfee said...

It was NFLese. ;)

An American dialect usually found only in the USA between the months of August and february.

Karissa Chen said...

i'm a big supporter of NFLese. I think everyone should learn to speak this language.