Monday, January 14, 2008

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...........!!!!

That's it for the Cowboys in 2007. A 21-17 loss to the Giants, a team they beat twice in the regular season, both times by 10 or more points.

David is sad today.

I've waited a long time for the Cowboys to start being good again and have the kind of year I remember from my childhood years. It's been 11 years since they've won a playoff game. That's a long time in football terms, especially for Dallas, which has won more games than any other team since its inception in 1960.

T.O. was so diapointed he was actually crying. He defended Romo, who will undoubtedly face a lot of criticism for the loss. It's never that simple, though. Sure, Romo made a blunder or two, but the Giants pass rush got through the Dallas offensive line time and time again, forcing Romo to throw the ball or take a sack. faced with that situation, most of the time you throw the darn ball.

In that, the Dallas offensive line should shoulder some of the blame, as they did not have a great game, either. The whole game was marred by mistakes and penalties, but I still say the biggest factor was the ease with which the Giants' defense penetrated Romo's protection.

But smoke in the wind, and all that. second-guessing and finger-pointing won't put the Cowboys back in the playoffs this year; their season is done. If you want to watch Romo play again, you'll have to wait until August (or watch the Pro Bowl in feb.)

That just leaves the Patriots, the Chargers, the Packers, and the Giants left to play. Of the teams left, I'm rooting for the Packers, even though I think the patriots are going to take it.

But I've been wrong before...

See Y'all!

8 comments:

Karissa Chen said...

I'm about to write an entry of my own on this. I have to say, this hurts more than last year's bobble on the snap fiasco, if only because it felt like this year was FINALLY going to be our year.

I agree much of the blame falls on the O-line. Then there were the numerous penalties,including like four false starts, which I feel like is just STUPID. Our offense has been great all year in pressure situations, but somehow they choked the one time it really really mattered. That missed pass to Crayton killed the momentum for good, IMO, though I do wonder how our defense let in that last 50 second TD by the Giants right before the end of the first half.

I was touched by TO's tearful defense of Romo. Feels like he's grown a lot as a team player. And no, I don't blame Romo, he played the best he could, considering how agitated and frustrated he was getting. Sure, he underthrew a few passes and whatnot, but no interceptions, and IMO, it was a pretty good game for him for the most part. I think everyone forgets sometimes how young he is, and that this is his first year as a full-time starting QB. He's done a remarkable job for his first year, and I think we'll see him grow and mature. I'm still confident this team will go to the SB. Not this year, but eventually.

And yeah. Packers all the way from here on out.

David L. McAfee said...

Angelle – That’s actually a very good point, and one I meant to address in my post but somehow forgot to include. Tony Romo is young. How young? Well, true, he’s 27, and Eli Manning is….what? 24? 25? So age-wise, he’s not as young as Eli.

BUT (and this is a big but), career-wise, this was his first year as a starting quarterback. This was Eli’s 4th with the Giants. That’s important to think about. In his first year as a starter (and only his second year playing at all….he spent 3 years on the team before he was actually put on the field), he led the Cowboys to a 13-3 regular season. In Dallas Cowboys history, only the 1992 season equaled that 13-3, and that was Troy Aikman’s third year as a starting QB for the Cowboys. Granted, the Cowboys also went on to win the Super Bowl that year, which Romo obviously won’t (this year), but that counts for something and I think it says a lot about the Cowboys offense and Romo in particular.

He’s got the talent. That much is obvious. What he needs now is a little more experience and better pass protection. All in all I think he will get a Super Bowl ring. Not this year, of course, but within the next three years I think there will be a 6th Lombardi trophy in Jerry Jones’ trophy case.

Tyhitia Green said...

I have nothing to contribute to this post because I am not a sports fan...lol. Hope your team does well! :*)

Karissa Chen said...

Sigh. Looks like we just need to be patient for a little while longer. But it WILL happen for us.

David L. McAfee said...

That's ok, Tyhitia, we still love ya. :)

Karissa Chen said...

jason garrett! do you think he'll take the ravens job????????

LadyBronco said...

I'm sorry about your 'Boys, but at least they made the playoffs - lol...

David L. McAfee said...

True enough Ladybronco. I AM proud of their regular season...it just stinks that it got cut short. :(