Friday, April 20, 2007

Wow.

Ok, so I'm not a techie. I haven't added anything new to this blog in the last couple of weeks because I couldn't figure out how. There, I said it. Call me a dingbat if you must (I can say that because the only person who reads this blog is yours truly, and I can call myself anything I want without hurting my own feelings).

All righty, then...what's new since my last post? Well, I have an agent shopping my manuscript around. That's certainly something that has never happened to me before. It's interesting because, for a writer (especially a noob like me), having an agent represents a tremendous validation of your work. Sure, I haven't made any money, and there's no guarantee your agent will sell your book to a publisher, but just having one means someone besides you and your loved ones believes in your work and thinks it's marketable. That is what an agent represents to new writers. Even if this book never sells, it means I am good enough.

Oooh, it felt good to type that. I think I'll do it again.

I am good enough!!! I am! I am I AM!!

OOOh, that's better than crack!! Ok, I gotta slow down, I'm starting to get high over here.

For anyone who reads this besides myself (as likely as that is), I should probably add that NOT having an agent (yet) is nothing to be ashamed of and in no way invalidates a writer's efforts. It's important to note that NO ONE is born with an agent. Every single writer who has ever had one didn't start off that way. Plenty of writers struggled to get one and a few have been quite successful without one. P.N. Elrod's first book, Blood List, was bought by Ace right off the slush pile, with nary an agent around to prod and pitch. I lost count of how many books this series has now, but it's been going strong for years and years. So for those of you who might someday read this and think something negative about yourself because no agents are beating your door down...don't. Sometimes it takes a while. there are plenty of documented cases of famous authors who were turned down by many, many agents, and I am far too lazy to post them, but take my word for it.

That said, it's still nice to have someone in the biz believe in your work. Makes me feel all tingly.

Or maybe that's the crack.

3 comments:

ohdawno said...

Congrats on getting an agent! That's a big acheivement.

And welcome to the blogosphere. There are many AW Bloggers commenting and sharing links - there are some things we do in the forum to help promote that - right now I think there's a 'blog ladder' going on.

Good luck with your book!

Aprilynne Pike said...

Hey David!! I found you!!

Even though I've said it before, I'll add my congrats. It really isa eciting to have a professional tell you you're good enough. Hold on to that feeling! It will help you get through the rough patches . . . not that YOU'LL have any of those.;)

Maprilynne

David L. McAfee said...

Thanks Dawno and April.

Wow, April, you found me pretty quick. :)