Friday, April 27, 2007

Luv Them Betas!

Beta Readers. Ya gotta love ‘em. They are your first line, your first critics, and sometimes your first fans. These are people who actually take time out of their schedules to read the words YOU put together and (hopefully) share some honest input on how they feel about what they have read. Saints of the writing world, one and all. At least in my opinion.

Here’s the thing, though. You have to be careful who your betas are. Did your husband/wife/significant other beta your book and tell you it was awesome? Your Best Friend? The counter jockey at Starbuck’s? These people are usually (not always) more interested in making you happy than in giving an honest critique. Another important question is this: Does your beta reader ever read for pleasure? Lots of people don’t, and those people might not get anything out of a book that is truly well written and unique, or they might just say “Meh, I didn’t like it” and have no idea why. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just not very helpful to you as a writer.

The best type of beta reader is one who doesn’t know you at all and reads for pleasure all the time. These are the people who are going to know why they do or don’t like your book, and not be afraid to tell you. Personally, I don’t want my feelings spared by any of my beta readers. If they don’t have something bad to say (a plot hole or inconsistency or clumsy wording, etc.) I would worry. If my book sees print, total strangers are going to rip into it without a thought or care for my personal feelings. For some people, that is their job, and they won’t hold anything back. After all, their livelihood and reputation is at stake.

This is why I like the online writer’s forums like Absolute Write. In addition to the great people you meet, the wonderful tips you can find, and the leads you can dig up, there are also a few total strangers who are more than willing to read your work and tell you if it stinks. Even though much of reading is subjective, usually you can tell if something just isn’t that particular reader’s taste or if it’s a real trouble spot. That kind of honest, even harsh, advice is very valuable for those of us who are struggling to get a book published.

Right now my fondest wish is that my novel does see print, if for no other reason than just so I can thank several people who so deserve it (you all know who you are). Here’s hoping.

Got my fingers crossed (darn hard to type that way, too…).

10 comments:

ORION said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!
I too value my beta readers -- that's why I have the all-time LONGEST acknowledgment pages in Putnam's history...
The important thing for me is to use readers NOT writers. Over time I have compiled probably about 30. I use them for different works and for different reasons.
I carefully select them and then take them to dinner regularly!

John Robison said...

I think beta readers could be important but unlike Pat, I have been unable to amass 30.

But actually, at the time of submission, no one had read the version of Look Me in the Eye that caused such excitement except me and my agent.

So I just don't know.

David L. McAfee said...

I think my best Beta Reader so far(whom I have taken to dinner twice now) is a former editor of a small creative writing magazine. I LOVE her input.

Excellent point on readers, not writers, but I also think the input of fellow writers is important, too. I have about a 50/50 mixture of the two. Some folks at AW, and some folks who just like to read. I got one beta reader because I overheard him in a bookstore talking about how much he loved books in my genre and I straight up asked him if he'd read mine. He said yup.

LadyBronco said...

Oh, I am so excited I am at the beta reader stage!

I can't wait to get some honest feedback.

I am worried that some of them won't be completely honest, but I can only tell them so many times to forget my feelings and tell me if the novel sucks or not. (that always gets a laugh)

Michael said...

Nice site, David. My only beta readers are online, so I can see the value of AW and some of the others I like (such as Chronicles).

Incidentally, what is your genre, David?

David L. McAfee said...

Michael,

To be perfectly honest I am not sure. The novel that is being repped now is about vampires in the year 33 AD. I had it pegged as a historical/paranormal thriller, but an agent who rejected it called it a fantasy/horror.

Aprilynne Pike said...

My husband has been secretly reading my WIP (he's totally allowed, I just didn't know he was doing it) and he confirmed the other day that I was going as wrong as I thought I was. So though it was very frustrating, it's nice ot have a hubby who is both good and beta-ing and will give me honest feedback.

Now if only I could get him to read the book my agent is shopping.:)

Michael said...

Still, it sounds like it could be my kind of story, David. Good luck finding an agent!

David L. McAfee said...

Michael,

I have an agent. :) I just need a publisher.

Michael said...

Oops! Sorry...then good luck finidng that publisher!