Monday, February 4, 2008

A Little Note About The Super Bowl

Ok, since I know a lot of you aren’t football fans, I have to ask your indulgence once again. I promise my next post won’t have anything to do with football (I already know what I am going to talk about, too, so it’ll be an easy promise to keep).

I’ve been down on the Giants ever since they knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs, but as I sat watching the game, I just couldn’t bring myself to root for the Patriots. I couldn’t overcome a lifetime of bias toward a team I can’t bring myself to like, no matter how good they are. And they ARE good, there’s no denying that. The numbers don’t lie. 18-1, Four Super Bowl appearances in 7 years, 3 of them wins. Many records set by the offense, including most total points in a season (589), most TD passes (50), and most TD receptions (23). Get my drift? They are a GOOD team. A GREAT team, in fact.

But I still don’t like them.

The Pats are a team I have never liked. Even as a little kid I didn’t like them. I didn’t have a good reason for my dislike, in fact it was a pretty dumb reason, but to a kid any logic can be made to sound like the gospel. I was no different. So here is my lifelong silly reason: Their uniforms were ugly.

Yep. That’s all it took to make a circa 1979 me dislike a football team. Ugly uniforms.

Ok, that’s not the case anymore. Since the mid 90's their uniforms have been kinda cool, what with the new colors and the Flying Elvis logo. Nowadays it’s all about attitude, and Belichick’s attitude and the atmosphere he fosters on his team is, to me, deplorable. I could spend the next hour and a half typing on this subject, but I’ll spare you. Suffice it to say, I think he is one of the lowest-class coaches in the NFL (he didn’t even finish the game, folks! He walked off before the last play. Ok, there was only 1 second on the clock and Big Blue had possession, but still…his team had to be out there, so HE should have been out there with them).

But, back to the Giants. While I have no love for Eli and his crew, I do respect them a great deal, and they deserve it. What’s more, they PROVED they deserve respect last night. So, ok…Go Big Blue. There are several very good things I got to see come out of this Super Bowl:

1) I got to see that big smirk wiped off Tom Brady’s face. That was sweet! The man is a phenomenal QB, no doubt, but he KNOWS it, and his personality shows that he knows it.

2) I got to see Belichick show the whole world, once and for all, what kind of man he is by leaving the field in disgust rather than watch his team lose. The man is a poor winner, and an even worse loser. He may be a great coach, but I don’t think he is a very good person at all.

3) I got to see Strahan and Toomer get their Super Bowl rings. Finally. Those guys deserve it, they really do. Strahan is probably one of the nicest guys in the league. No, I’ve never met him, but I know one or two people who have, and the amount of work that man puts into his community helping others is beyond admirable. I like seeing guys like him win. Good for Michael!

4) This last is kinda selfish. I can’t help but feel a sense of vindication. I’ve made no secret of the fact that I think Tony Romo is one of the best QBs in the NFL. The guy is awesome, and when he’s on a hot streak, he’s amazing (just watch the Dallas/Rams game if you don’t believe me). So I felt a need to step up and defend him after the Cowboys lost to Big Blue in the playoffs. Everyone tried to blame Romo and his trip to Cabo with Jessica Simpson. Remember all that fuss and muss? Made me sick. SO, watching the game, and watching the Giants defense do the same thing to Tom Brady, made me smile because now everyone can stop harassing Romo about that game. After all, Tom Brady is supposed to be the best in the NFL, and if he couldn’t stand and deliver against Osi, Michael, Tuck, and the rest of the Giants’ defense, then suddenly the Cowboys’ loss doesn’t look so bad, does it?

Anyway, this post is getting long and I’m sure all 3 of my readers have lost interest by now (with the exception of maybe one…you know who you are!). So I will end this here before I dig myself a big hole (hopefully none of my in-laws read this blog…I’d be banned from family functions for life).

See Y'all!

3 comments:

Karissa Chen said...

Belichick... what a sore loser. I couldn't believe he walked right off like that. Listening to the post-game interview with him was so funny. He obviously didn't want to talk, he was in this weird disconnected stupefied state.

Humbling, to say the least.

I have no good reason to hate the Pats either. I think it's a mixture of watching them win those SBs in the past few years (and always being with ppl who were rooting against them) and my dislike for Boston fans in general (this is where you and I part ways... it's some animosity that spills over from the Bosox). And Brady just annoys me. Him abandoning Bridget Moynihan has something to do with it too. So, yeah, gratifying. My one Pats fan friend won't even speak to anyone right now.

As for Big Blue. You have to hand it to them. They won that game thanks to some amazing defense. In all honesty, I'm not sure the Cowboys would have been able to pull off the win against the Pats. Because I think it required a phenomenal defense what we don't always have. And Giants D was so on point.

You're totally right about the vindication feeling too. Totally vindicated. We basically watched Giants D put the exact same kind of pressure they put on Romo, onto Brady. And it rattled Mr. Cool, so it should be understandable that it rattled Romo.

:)

Pro Bowl next... I hope they let Romo start.

[and i'm proud to be that ONE person who actually reads all of your football posts!]

LadyBronco said...

Belichump showed his true colors alright - what a loser.

And I loved seeing the smirk wiped right off Brady's face too. Wonder if 'I'm too beautiful for mere men' Giselle had to hear him whine all the way home?

Man I hate the Patsies.

David L. McAfee said...

Haha!

Belichump. I love it.

he says now that he didn't realize there was still a second left.