Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Is It Just Me?

The following incident is not a recent event, but it has been rankling me for a little while, so I thought I’d seek alternative opinions on the matter (and moonrat, if you are still reading I Have A Blog?, your input would be much appreciated).

Some time ago, the first three chapters of my novel found their way to the desk of an editor (we’ll call her Ed A). Three days later, Ed A emailed me, and told me she very much liked those 3 chapters, and would like to see the rest of the novel. So, needless to say, the remainder of the story was sent to her.

A month later I received another email. It seems Ed A read it, and she liked it, but felt she wasn’t the best choice to edit it. Another editor (let’s call her Ed B) who works at the same press had expressed an interest in reading it, so ED A forwarded the novel to Ed B.

Another month goes by, and I get a rejection from Ed B. Now, that in itself is nothing to stew over. Writers get rejections. It’s part of the business. But this was a bland form rejection.

Don’t get me wrong, I am used to getting form rejections (what writer isn’t?), but it seems to me, after requesting the full and then sending it to another editor in-house, to send a form rejection is just poor form (pardon the pun). I feel since they requested the full I should have gotten at least a brief explanation for the rejection. Too controversial, or not enough sex, or something like that.

This is not a big press, but it is a good press, and I wouldn’t hesitate to accept a contract from them in the future, should they ever extend an offer to me. I don’t have any hard feelings toward them, but I am confused. I could be way off base, but I can’t help but think with as few manuscripts as editors request it would not have been too great a strain on this person’s schedule to let me know the reason the MS didn’t pass muster. Am I wrong in thinking so?

What do y’all think? Is it just me?

See Y’all!

9 comments:

moonrat said...

I am reading!! And.

My take on this is that unfortunately we can't be completely accountable for our colleagues' opinions of anything. Ed A, for example, was the one who brought your manuscript in; she was the one who expressed interest; the onus should have been on her to reject it for a reason. Instead she tried to find a home for it with one of her colleagues, which was nice of her, although ultimately less constructive for you because you didn't get specific feedback from her OR her colleague about your manuscript. But if any of us had a choice, we probably would have chosen to have the ms passed on for a second shot instead of having a meaningful rejection, right?

Ed B didn't bring your partial into the house; therefore, she doesn't feel like it was a solicited submission, and she treated it like a lot of the other stuff people ask her to look at that she doesn't have any particular investment in.

I think technically this behavior is only fair, although I will say I try to treat stuff my colleagues pass to me more seriously than this, since I have not only MY bridges to burn but theirs as well. But in defense of Ed B, we have SO much stuff on our plates that sometimes we don't execute all our maneuvers quite as nicely as we would hope.

I would say that in any case the first editor's interest in your book is very encouraging.

David L. McAfee said...

Thanks, Moonrat. It's always nice to get some meaningful perspective from the other side of the fence.

I can see why Ed B wouldn't have felt it was a solicited submission, and so I can understand (now) why she would not have felt the need to offer up anything beyond the form rejection.

I like your philosophy on these types of rejections, though. Who knows? One of these days maybe I'll get rejected by you, and you can tell me why, eh? :)

Thanks again (and good ta see ya, BTW). Hope you enjoyed the parade in Manhattan yesterday.

Holly Kennedy said...

Given what you've described,
I think you were owed a respectful letter, however brief, outlining why the house was rejecting it.
You're dead right.

David L. McAfee said...

Woo! Holly Kennedy reads my blog. :) At least once, anyway ;)

Didn't see that one coming.

Thanks so much, Holly, for stopping in, and thanks for posting. I'm glad it's not just me that feels that way.

Tyhitia Green said...

I agree with you, David. A letter from either one of them would have been helpful... :*)

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

It's hard cause you are so close. And I would have thought that because a fellow Editor had passed the manuscript to her, the second Editor would have treated it as if it was a solicited submission but I guess they don't think that way. I always find Moon's insight enlightening and the one thing I always take away is that it just never gets any easier.

I'm still rootin' for you Dave!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the rejection, but I am continuing to keep my fingers crossed for you. If it helps, it sounds like you're close and that you are generating interest with a good story. :)

David L. McAfee said...

Thanks, Tyhitia, ello, and thomma lyn. I think I am getting close, just not quite there yet.

But soon. :)

Chris Eldin said...

I agree with what Moonrat said.
But, I think you were owed some kind of personal letter.
I think Kristin Nelson said that if she gets to the point of requesting a full ms and then declines, then she always sends a personal letter.

I think it's not just in poor form, it's shitty.

I had an agent request an exclusive a few months back. I got a form rejection. WTF? Oh, I fumed. Then I started the Agent Hottie series on my blog because the vast majority of my experiences have been so positive.

I wonder if you can write Ed A and request some feedback. I don't know...I think a very short letter thanking her/him for the referral and any other input as you move forward would be fine. And then drop it after that.

You are so close. Damn!