Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Michael Vick Sentenced to 23 Months

Just in case you’ve been living under a rock lately and haven’t heard the news, Michael Vick, the former star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, was sentenced yesterday to 23 months. The judge actually went on the long side of sentencing and gave Vick more time than the prosecution asked for because Vick, apparently, showed a remarkable lack of integrity all through the process. At one point he failed a drug test just days after promising the judge he would stay away from drugs.

This is the same man who was arrested at an airport not long ago for having a secret compartment in his bottle of water with drugs in it. Remember that? Yup. Vick.

While I, personally, could care less about the drug charges (hey, it’s his body, right?), the dog fighting charges needed to be answered for. According to what came out in the trial, Vick not only bankrolled the entire operation (Bad Newz Kennels), but actually killed and/or aided in killing several dogs who, when first brought in for “test fights,” didn’t perform at the high standards set by the Bad Newz Kennel. So of course, these underperforming dogs had to die…you know…since they couldn’t fight well enough in the pit.

Disgusting.

More disgusting was the method of execution. Bad enough they killed the poor animals, but how was this accomplished? Euthanization? A needle? Nope. The dogs were drowned and hanged. That’s right. Hanged. As in a rope was tied around their necks and the dogs were dropped so that the neck snapped, like cattle thieves in the old west or Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Which leaves one to wonder…what was the purpose of this method? Why, if you are going to kill a dog, would you do so in such a grotesque manner? I can only guess, though I am tempted to lean towards the idea that Vick and pals must have thought it was “neat” or entertaining in some way.

The part that confuses me the most is this: Michael Vick was the highest paid player in the NFL. Note: not ONE of the highest, but THE highest. He made more than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, or Tony Romo (for those who don’t know…Brady, Manning, Favre, and Romo are the 4 best QBs in the NFL, playing for the New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, and Dallas Cowboys, respectively). Now, given all that, why would anyone risk losing so much over something as stupid as dog fighting? I just don’t get it. If I were pulling down that kinda salary, I sure wouldn’t risk it all for something like that.

Stupid, if you ask me.

Before I found out some of these details, I felt a little bad for him. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe, just maybe, he was a good man who made a bad mistake. But after reading some of the details; the constant lies to the court, the atrocious acts committed to the dogs, the STUPID drug use when he knew he was being monitored, I no longer feel sympathetic. This is a man who thought he was bigger than the law, and thumbed his nose at the legal system. I do not feel the least bit bad for him anymore. Instead, I feel bad for his family, who has to go through this with him. I feel bad for his mother, who has to watch her son come crashing down from Grace. I feel bad for the dogs who were brutalized in the name of sick entertainment. I feel bad for his teammates, who now have to play without him and have had several starting QBs this year because they have been unable to find someone who can fill Vick’s shoes on the field.

Lastly, I feel bad for the millions of fans who had to watch all this trash unfold, especially the kids who looked up to him as a role model. Let’s hope they all learn from his example.

11 comments:

Tyhitia Green said...

I am in no way trying to justify what he did but I don't get why it was hyped in the media. Oh yeah, I do. Football.

What he did was stupid and sick but I'm trying to figure out why the hillbillies where I live get to pay a fine and get a slap on the wrist when they have dogfights and starve, beat, and kill their dogs in vicious manners. Does it depend on the judge, what you do for a living, etc.?

What's more amazing is the fact that a man who rapes children gets a few months for murdering souls, but God forbid if someone hurts a dog. We live in a really sick, confused place. Sorry for the mini-rant, but I was just wondering all these things.

David L. McAfee said...

I can't argue with you there, Tyhitia. There are people who get less time for more severe crimes.

I think it has to do with the amount of remorse and cooperation shown by Vick (read that as "lack of"). The guy just didn't care about any of it. he was like "so what?" the whole time. Plus, it was a Federal case, and Federal judges aren't known for leniency.

Plus, Vick was just stupid about it. If I'm facing Federal charges, you better believe I'm going to cooperate fully and do everything I can to gain leniency. Vick didn't. Instead he thumbed his nose at the court at every turn. That's why the judge felt he needed a stiffer penalty.

Those hillbillies you mention? They should all get similar sentences. And the folks who rape and murder children? Well, I vote for tossing them butt-naked and covered in gravy into the pit with the fighting dogs from the hillbillies and Vick scenarios, personally.

Tyhitia Green said...

Vick was just stupid and I don't feel sorry for him. If you have everything, why screw that up? Anyway, as for the pedophiles, I have much worse in mind. So severe, that I cannot even say on your blog. I guess us horror writers can really come up with some stuff, eh? LOL...

David L. McAfee said...

Too true. I have a few choice methods for ridding the world of pedophiles and rapists, myself.

most of them would probably get me arrested just for thinking them up.

That or get me a job at Guantanamo (sp?)

Aprilynne Pike said...

Wow. i guess I've been living under a rock, cuz I haven't heard anything about this . . . sounds awful!

Chris Eldin said...

Demon Hunter, I agree.
I can't watch the news when it's about pedophiles because I just boil inside. There is nothing more heinous.
But someone who does this to animals is a whisper away from doing it to other life. I think this anyway.

Karissa Chen said...

Vick. Disgusts me. Ugh. I feel bad for the Falcons though, man. They're sorta hurting without him.

Ugh. Totally disgusts me though.



[p.s. Romo is my boy!]

David L. McAfee said...

Angelle,

I knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

Go Cowboys!

Karissa Chen said...

That makes me very happy! I've been searching near and far for a fellow writer who also will help me in rooting on the Cowboys!!! I've finally found my kindred spirit....

David L. McAfee said...

I LOVE the Cowboys. :) I'm from Texas originally. I used to sit with my dad and watch the Cowboys play back when Danny White was the QB.

Does my li'l heart good to see them doing so well this year. *sniff*

Karissa Chen said...

that has to be the cutest thing ever! it's unfortunate that we can't catch all their games here in ny... though most of them are. i've been relegated to internet radio a few times though.

and im not originally from texas... but i had a bf in college who was from dallas who taught me everything i know about football. including which is the best team to root for. :)