Thursday, September 27, 2007

One down and four to go

Well, folks. As some of you know, my story has been with several editors, some longer than others. All of them requested the manuscript, so that's a good sign, right? The only thing that sucks about having a manuscript out with a bunch of editors is the waiting, which I have blogged about before. It can be hard, mostly because, at this stage of the game, you are just soo...darn...close.

Well, today there is one less publisher for which I am waiting. I got an email from one of the pubs which said they thought the story was "very well written," "thought-provoking," and "very well received" (all three of those lines are direct quotes). However, they did not "have a place for it at this time." (another direct quote) I received this email first thing this morning. I turned on my compter, checked my email, and the first thing I saw was their reply. It kinda set the tone for the whole day, which I knew then and there would be completely unredeemable.

I posted about this here, and I got a few sympathetic replies. Call me crazy, but I like to hear nice things when I am feeling bummed. I dunno why. But the gist of the responses I received seemed to be that, as far as rejections go, that's definitely one of the better ones to get.

While I can certainly understand this point of view, it does not change the fact that a no is a no, regardless of how nicely it is phrased. So I do not actually feel warm and fuzzy thinking about how they liked the book, but just couldn't publish it. Instead, what I tend to concentrate on is how, despite the fact they liked the book, they didn't like it enough.

Which is a statement that, no matter how nicely it is phrased, still merits a strong Jim Beam and Coke before going to bed tonight.

On the plus side, it is a good rejection, and there are still four publishers out there looking over the full manuscript. I remain optimistic that someone will like it enough to put it on a shelf. Then again, I have to remain that optimistic, don't I? Otherwise, why would I write?

Ah, me. Sometimes a little Jim Beam goes a loooong way. Sometimes a little more Jim Beam goes even farther. And hey, sometimes, after a liiiiiittle too much Jim Beam, I start typing stuff I can't even read myself the next morning. Can you guess which one of those is happening right now? (Hint...I won't be turning on the computer before I leave for work tomorrow).

Well, poop. I think I hear my bottle calling me. G'night, folks!

See Y'all!

6 comments:

moonrat said...

hey--thanks for this & your recent comment. you've inspired a post that i hope i'll get to today. i have lots and lots of thoughts on this.

(btw i know it's a lie re: not turning on your computer before work this morning!!! mr. commenting on my blog at 7:30 am!!)

Tyhitia Green said...

David,
You have some really great prospects, so calm down! It's just a matter of time---don't sweat it! :*)

David L. McAfee said...

I did that FROM work, li'l miss...uh....something equally as witty as your comment. So there.

:-P

LadyBronco said...

Yeah,
getting home after a long day and finding an inbox full of rejections really blows.

Aprilynne Pike said...

Hey David,

Sorry I'm a bit late--I haven't been on-line for almost two days now. So Busy!! So apologies for the late condolences.

Remember that being told your book is "well-written" is so important. It means that you can write. And even if this book doesn't sell (and I am crossing toes and fingers that it will!!) that says you have what it takes to write another even better. You have talent and this editor recognized that. Remember that in your down times. Just think, "I have talent, damn it!!!":)

Hang in there. There a publishing happily ever after just waiting for you around a corner. You just have to find the right corner. Good luck with the other four editors.

Aprilynne

Anonymous said...

Awwww, David -- hang in there. I know the waiting has got to be excruciating, and rejections are difficult to deal with even when they are good rejections, but truly, I feel it's only a matter of time. You'll get there! Know that I've got my fingers, toes, legs, arms, and eyelashes crossed for you!